Saturday, October 1, 2011

Summer Grillin'

The other night I had some Thai food with one of my friends. I thought back to the many hours last summer that I spent in front of the grill making my famous chicken satay. I would stand out on the patio, listening to the sizzle and pop as the flames licked at the chicken, waiting for the edges to turn white before flipping them over. I felt so professional wearing my straw grilling hat, long tongs in one hand and a mason jar filled with my mom's lime cooler in the other. Her cooler is made with fresh lime juice [plenty of pulp], sugar, bubbly water, ice and fresh mint. The lime and the mint are a perfectly refreshing mix, wonderful for a hot summer's day.

I could feel a sunburn coming on as the rays beat down on my back. I had to squint from the sun's reflection on the metal grill. I stepped back into the shade to take a sip of the lime cooler. My clothes clung from sweat, but my hand was cold and moist from the condensation on the mason jar. I began to smell the turmeric and the ginger. I couldn't wait to dip a skewer of that moist meat into my home-made peanut sauce. My dad was inside making the cucumber salad and the jasmine rice. My brother would come to the door, pressing his nose against the screen to ask me how much longer until it would be ready. "Just about three more minutes, could you get me a plate to put 'em on?" "Oh ya, sure thing!" he would exclaim, before running-off. I opened the grill and moved the chicken around, the more done skewers were brought to the front left and the ones that weren't brown enough went to the back.

My brother came out with the platter and stood watching as I gently transferred the chicken onto it. We rushed inside to plate our food. Once everyone was seated I dipped my skewer into the pool of peanut sauce. I could already smell the lime and ginger. I took a bite as the peanut sauce slowly dripped onto my fingers. I eyed the cucumbers in their tangy rice vinegar and sugar sauce, and the mound of warm rice, fresh from the pot, steam still rising.


Here are the recipes for my chicken satay and peanut sauce:

Satay Marinade:

For 2 breasts

  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon tamari (soy sauce)
  • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, put through garlic press or minced
  • 1 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon sliced scallions
  • 1.5 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Mix everything in a bowl.



Chicken Satay:

Serves 4

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • One batch of Satay Marinade
  • Wooden skewers

Slice chicken into one inch cubes or 3 inch by 1 inch strips. Pour sauce over chicken and let sit in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. While the chicken marinates you should soak the skewers in water to prevent them from burning. Pre-heat the grill to medium-low. After the chicken is marinated skewer it. If the chicken is in cubes put 3-4 pieces on each skewer, leaving about an inch exposed on each end. Once the grill is hot place the chicken on a diagonal, making sure to leave at least an inch between the skewers. Let the chicken cook on low until the edges turn white, then flip them, keeping them on a diagonal. If the chicken is still pink, return to the first side and cook until it isn't shiny. After the second side is cooked turn the heat up to high to brown the outside. Once one side is done flip to brown the other side. Turn off grill and plate chicken.



Thai Peanut Sauce:

Serves four

  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons coconut milk
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons water
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 3/4 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and sirve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You're killing me. The grill is there, full of propane, but all my spices are in a box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete