Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Shout-Out to T-Town

Curiously enough, going to school across the country does not make my heart ache for my family or my room but, rather, for the food I left behind. Being from the Southwest, it goes without saying that I ate a lot of Mexican cuisine at home (Viva Burrito!), so this is my comfort food. Authentic Mexican influence is everywhere in Tucson restaurants, and it's definitely something I'm missing being on the East Coast. Two summers ago, Tucson got its fifteen minutes of culinary fame when the Travel Channel's "Man v. Food" came to our charming city and visited El Güero Canelo, a local Mexican restaurant, to showcase the Sonoran Hot Dog, a specialty dish. To be honest, I'd never heard of this now-famous hot dog until the show came to town.

Of course, I had to try the food that was bringing a popular TV show to Tucson. The Sonoran Hot Dog is surprisingly small, tucked neatly into its bun and smothered with various dressings, among them jalapeños (not something on your average hot dog!). It's definitely not some monster food that Adam Richman, the show's host, had to conquer, but the meal's uniqueness is worth the hype, I can assure you. The ingredients piled on top give it a distinctive flavor unlike any other hot dog and if, like me, you like jalapeños, you'll love this dog. If you ever pass through Tucson, be sure to stop by El Güero Canelo to give the Sonoran Hot Dog a taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment