Monday, October 3, 2011

Saveuring Greece


So, I remembered that the other day in class (I believe when we were discussing "Tripe"), someone (was it Emma?) brought up her childhood dislike for moussaka, a Greek dish with eggplant and béchamel sauce. While I understood where her revulsion lay, I just had to make my case for another dish, papoutsakia, which combines a lot of the same flavors and ingredients, but is one of the most wonderful things I've ever eaten. Perhaps she will feel the same if she gives it a try. Here's the link for the recipe, which I found in Saveur magazine, if anyone is interested:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Stuffed-Eggplant-Papoutsaki

The article was called "Glories of Greece" and while I couldn't find the entire thing, I did find this opening quote, which I think sums it up wonderfully:

"It is the cradle of Mediterranean cuisine, a place that embodies everything we love about cooking and eating: a passion for pure ingredients like olive oil and wild herbs and fresh-caught fish, a respect for tradition and feasting, and an honest way with food that lets bold flavors sing. From the mountains of Epirus in the west to sun-drenched Crete in the south, Greece is a modern marvel with ancient roots." -Te Editors

I also made another recipe from the same edition of Saveur: Peppers stuffed with feta (Piperies Gemiste me Feta) http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Peppers-Stuffed-with-Feta-Piperies-Gemistes-Me-Feta
Below are some photos I snapped in the kitchen, while preparing both of these dishes with my mom one evening:



1 comment:

  1. Oh, yum. And certainly no, let's not bust on Greek cuisine. Order the cold veggie pita at Pizza Amore sometime: it has whole stuffed grape leaves in it, and tons of feta, and olives and tomatoes, and yoghurt sauce. An amazing and surprising Greek treat.

    ReplyDelete