Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Best Chocolate...Ever

In the past two years or so, I've grown to really like dark chocolate- the darker, the better. I've experimented with different brands, but really only stuck to one flavor-- 70%-87% cocoa, 87% whenever possible.

However, since I've been at school, my mom has made it her "thing" each week to send me different kinds of chocolate: different flavors included. The first little package I got was a fail. It was lavender flavored, which was more like eating perfume than a piece of candy. Of course I didn't say anything, but I wasn't getting my hopes up with the flavored stuff.

The new flavors continued--java chunk was good, as was the raspberry flavored. But nothing was as consistent as the solid, plain, super dark chocolate- that is, until this past week. Mom hit the jackpot.

This is what I received in the mail (however not this many, only one):


I was apprehensive at first to try chili chocolate- the thought of a savory spice mixed with a sweet candy didn't particularly excite me. But I tried it. And then I ate almost half the package.

The chocolate itself doesn't have any milk; it's stone ground, as is the chili. This gives the chocolate a slight crunch, which is totally different from any chocolate I've ever liked. Usually, the smoother the better. Without milk, the chocolate is able to balance the spiciness of the chili.

After eating the piece of amazingness, I did a little research. The company's name is Taza, and they have a bunch of different flavors of their stone-ground chocolate. I'm excited to try the orange and the ginger; they also have one with almonds which sounds interesting.

Hopefully mom will be sending Taza chocolates more often than not.

1 comment:

  1. Can your mother be my mother?

    Also, Lindt makes a nice dark chocolate bar infused with chili. I have one in my office desk drawer, in fact.

    ReplyDelete