Sunday, October 23, 2011

Snacking All Day E'erday

We all know Smith provides its students the three basic meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What about the times in between? Surely, people get hungry after class and might stop by the campus center for a granola bar, yogurt, slice of pizza, or sandwich to replenish their stomachs as well as their energy. And we can't forget about the late night snacking that goes on behind our closed doors while finishing that paper on Durkheim's theory of functionalism, or a math problem set. It's undeniable -- people have to eat.

Especially since arriving here, I have learned that knowing how to eat is a crucial skill. I can eat lots of greens, fruits, and the proper amount of proteins and carbs at dinnertime, but what do I do when I feel hungry later on and a whole spread of food isn't available to me? I am searching for another fairly healthy food for my snack collection, and this week I have been testing out the waters with trail mix.

Nuts, walnuts, almonds, raisins, dried fruits, maybe even a few chocolate chips/M&M's. As a great source of protein and a light weight snack for a hike, trail mix doesn't need to be consumed in large portions in order to feel full. The sweet and sour tastes in my mouth are never dull, sensations buzzing on my tongue. I taste the saltiness of the peanuts and the sweetness of the raisin and dried apricots. I feel energized after eating a substantial amount, but I admit that it's difficult to resist the temptation to indulge in more sugary-salty goodness. I definitely recommend trail mix because I love the idea that these different foods can be combined into a delicious, flavorful treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment