Monday, October 31, 2011

The Roost



For those of you who have not yet been to The Roost, I highly recommend taking a trip. This weekend Angela and I trekked through the snow soaked sidewalks, willing to bear the freezing walk in exchange for a hot meal we had been planning all day.

The décor of The Roost is part of its appeal. Warm wood paneled walls paired with steel hanging mood lights create a cozy, hip ambiance. You can opt for a seat on one of the black leather couches, share a tiny table for two, or take a seat on one of the classroom swivel chairs at the large communal study table centered in the heart of the café. The menu boards are artfully decorated with colorful calligraphy titles etching the choices between breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drink options. Mirroring the atmosphere, the food is equally hip and fresh.

As a creature of habit, I always order my signature dish: the mixed board. This plate is the perfect pairing of sweet and salty: a hunk of French sourdough bread fresh out of the oven, local gouda, blackberries, creamy pesto goat cheese, olives, and an optional side salad with a cilantro vinegarette dressing. Honestly, just listing the ingredients makes me want to head back for another order. While my drink order tends to be more spontaneous, I tend to stick with three main options: cold weather usually means hot apple cider or jasmine pearls tea, and hot weather is always an iced mocha. Even though I normally hate coffee, this mocha is bomb. Perhaps its simply that I like how it’s served—a hipster mason jar—but I think the true reason is that it’s mainly creamy chocolate and milk.

The other day I’d been saying to a friend how much I’d love to try a new kind of spread board but wished they offered one that was paired with meats such as prosciutto or chorizo. Granting my wish, they just added a new dish called the “game board” which serves house (homemade) bread, salami, spicy chorizo, Spanish peppers, and a sweet jelly glaze. Can you think of anything that provides a greater gustatory delight?!

Also, the cakes are divine. As beautiful as they are to simply look at, they have the thickest, tastiest frosting I have ever tried. If ever a time to treat yourself for a well deserved treat, a slice of Roost cake is just the thing! Head down to The Roost sometime soon and I’m sure you won’t regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm! I want some of that pesto goat cheese spread. The iced chai was also very delicious. Next time we should try the Garlic Board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma-- We should talk about making this post a rough draft for your restaurant review! You'll also be interested in the review of the Roost that we'll read in class...

    ReplyDelete