Sunday, October 2, 2011

I guess we like our oranges in bulk.

The tough, thick skin of the orange wouldn't budge under my fingernails. I resorted to the orange peel my mom always kept in the top drawer next to the dishwasher. The orange peeler cut lusciously into the thick skin, and I carved a "Y" onto the surface. Help from the peeler was no longer needed after this step. I relied on my finger power to finish the deed, and furiously worked at my goal: the orange, stripped in its final stage before consumption. Ready to devour the orange slices after I finished peeling, I popped a couple slices in my mouth. Biting into the ripe, chilled slice, I felt the sweet juice immediately seep into my welcoming taste buds.

Since then, I've learned how to deal with the most stubborn skinned oranges. Angling my nails properly against the orange peels, I have better success in these endeavors. Brought up in an orange and Vitamin C-loving family, I would consume oranges so frequently, it was a daily ritual. I've enjoyed many oranges in my lifetime: from the thin-yet-tough skinned Valencia oranges, to the easily peel-able Navel oranges; from the juicy, seed-filled oranges, to the bitter, yet seedless ones. I do love clementines and tangerines, however, they are simply too petite to satisfy my heart's content . Let's be real: the 3107 stickered Navel oranges is where the love is at.

My father started buying oranges in bulk when we moved to Boston, probably because they were cheaper that way. He would return back home every Saturday, after a morning of venturing out into the food markets of Boston, with a couple boxes of oranges. The beautiful, vibrant orange colors lured me in, and I would indulge in one of my favorite pass times again and again, until the oranges ran out and my father would have to buy another box. Don't worry though, it was always a collective effort in the Tai household!

Since 1997
More recently - January 2011

1 comment:

  1. When I was a girl, all my books had orange stains on them. As did my clothes, and my bedsheets, and my homework, and my skin, and my brother. That refrigerator would have lasted me 5 days tops.

    I love your description of peeling. I think as a girl I was partly enthused about my own new-found independent expertise. This was a food I could handle on my own, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete