Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cookies are the Best Medicine


It seems to have been raining constantly for the past 2 weeks. This creates a very gray and gloomy atmosphere after a little while. As Fall finally approaches and the temperature begins to drop I want nothing more than to eat something warm and delicious. Today happens to be yet another cold and rainy day. On top of this ominous weather I happen to be in a bad mood. Grumpy, a little bit sad, and tired. When I woke up this morning I wanted to nothing more than to just crawl back in bed and watch TV. I realized I ached for something more, something sweet and delicious. That's when I had the ingenious idea to bake cookies.

I am no expert at baking. In fact, I'm quite neurotic about the whole process. Thank goodness for exact measurements. The only recipe I know is the Nestle Tollhouse recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bags. It's simple enough and delicious. My roommates were very happy to see me when I arrived from the supermarket with ingredients in hand. We quickly got to baking. The whole mixing and baking process only took about 30 minutes but that 30 minutes was all I needed to turn my mood around. Surrounded by friends and sugary goods I couldn't help but laugh and feel good. My spirits were lifted.

What is it about food that can create such a drastic switch in mood? I think food is an experience. It is not simply what you are eating but who you are eating with. The interactions you have, the jokes you make, the feeling of accomplishment when the dish is cooked (or baked) all create a fun, sociable environment. No doubt the sugar helps too. I live in a Friedman this year which means I have to cook most of my meals. It's been so much fun, delicious and relaxing to cook with friends. I can't believe I've waited 4 years to do this. Though sitting at the dining hall tables with my peers was fun, nothing compares to cooking on a regular basis. Now I can't help but wonder: Is the rest of the student population missing out? Most houses have a kitchen but when one fridge is shared with a household of a least 50 woman cooking on a regular basis is hard to do. The fact that the Friedman lotteries are so competitive is a hint to the campus need for more apartment like housing or at least to have housing that allows more room for food freedom. Do you feel the same way?

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about whether I can bake cookies on my gas grill. This kitchen remodel is really starting to get to me.

    ReplyDelete