Monday, October 17, 2011

Oh, You Mean Dumplings, Right?

Frozen dumplings, homemade dumplings, Costco's frozen potstickers -- these all sound good to me right about now, especially since I haven't eaten any since this past August. Growing up in a traditional Chinese household, I was no stranger to the wonder of dumplings. The Chinese dumpling consists of thin dough wrapped around minced meat and/or vegetables. Usually eaten with soy sauce, dumplings are one of my favorite Chinese dishes, mostly because they are very easy to make, as well as very satisfying in my stomach. If my mom has bought the frozen dumplings, I can conveniently boil water and toss a few dumplings into the pot. Within several minutes, I have myself a tasty, filling meal.

When I was in fourth grade, I made dumplings with my own hands for the first time. It was one of the first real foods I made myself, other than grilled cheese, microwavables, and scrambled eggs. My family and I were at a potluck with the majority of Dayton's Asian community. Because it is a food that is customarily eaten at Chinese New Year, we all joined in the basement of my friend's house in preparation of a feast. Walking down the stairs of the basement, I immediately was overwhelmed at the sight of so many Asians diligently sculpting their dumpling into form. I stayed by my mother's side, so that I could watch her and learn how to craft my own. She gently took the thin, circular piece of dough that was lying on the table, then placed a perfect amount of minced meat from the huge mixing bowl right in the center of the dough. With precision, her fingers lifted the edges of the circular piece of dough up, and pinched the sides to join together. The result looked similar to a three dimensional football. Imitating her motions to the best I could, I remember my dumpling did not turn out as professional-looking as hers. However, I loved the experience of celebrating the New Year by making this traditional food with my friends. When they were cooked, I laughed at the slightly deformed dumplings. I could recognize mine instantly. I took them from the pan, and proceeded to eat the fruits of my labor. Still delicious, I smiled at the satisfaction of celebrating my culture as well as the skill I had just learned.

One day in my middle school years, I went to Costco for the first time. Those who frequently shop at the amazing Costco are very familiar with their sample stands. A sample I tried on that Sunday afternoon was coincidentally a dumpling! I was excited, and went to wait for a sample. I was surprised at the female worker who was preparing the dumplings. As part of her sales line, she repeated, "Try a potsticker! The whole bag is 8.99 and is really easy to make for a quick, delicious dinner!" I looked at the bag, recognizing my favorite Chinese dumplings on the cover with the name "Potstickers" labeled across. Although I was confused at the name, I tried the so-called potsticker. It tasted the same as my dumplings when my mom fried them. Putting two and two together, I realized that potstickers were merely fried dumplings. But even to this day, I only call these meat filled dough pockets "dumplings," because that's simply what they will always be to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment