Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ever since my second grade introduction to Umeboshi (Japanese pickled plum), I’ve been addicted. Honestly, I cannot get enough of it.

At my Japanese bilingual elementary and middle school, umeboshi (ume) was a snack standard. Not only was it a food staple in many of my classmate’s lunches but nearly every teacher praised its health benefits and healing properties, constantly prescribing hot water and ume to aid digestion, sooth stomach aches, and increase blood flow. Yet, since nobody in my family is remotely Japanese, it wasn’t until my second grade lunch swap with my friend Aya that I first tasted the divine pickled plum.

Aya’s bento box typified the traditional Japanese lunch: a cute and delicate display of compartmentalized food. This sectioning was nothing like the traditional American lunchables layout. Instead, the bento box housed three mini sections of homemade wonders: one section for steamed veggies, another for tender teriyaki, and the last for fresh onigiri (

a seaweed wrapped rice ballcommonly topped with a savory item, such as ume).Aya admitted that the ume filled onigiri was the one flaw in her bento box that made her willing to swap her otherwise delectable lunch for my measly hummus sandwich. I distinctly remember the way she said this. It was if she said felt guilty of some sin against her upbringing. Maybe this is because the patriotic placement of the red ume plum on a background of white rice symbolizes a patriotic reference to the Japanese flag. But there was no way around it—to this day, Aya hates the flavor of ume. In fact, most of the people I know would agree that ume makes them want to gag.

I do understand that unique sensation ume can cause in ones throat. But for me it has never been a gag reflex but rather a mouthwatering saliva celebration. Truly, it is so sour that just looking at it makes me salivate. However, beyond its sourness, it is difficult to describe the exact taste of ume because depending on the type of plum and pickling process, the flavor can vary greatly.

One thing I do have to say is that if you’re a fan of finding that perfect blend of sweet, sour, and salty, sushi with Ume may just be your ideal meal. These days, ume is becoming ever more popular in Japanese sushi restaurants and you can order umeshiso maki, which is rice, nori, mint shiso leaf, and ume. While the color pairing of green, purple, and white may be unique and unusual, there is no need for this to be unsettling. Many who claim to hate ume in onigiri are likely to change their mind once they’ve tried umeshiso maki. This is because the sushi pairing is a perfect blend of explosive flavors. Initially, the sour fruity flavor overwhelms the taste buds but the sushi rice paired with mint shiso leaves quickly balance out the bang.

I know it may seem daunting at first, but tasting umeboshi is a truly synesthetic experience. The first taste is can be quite similar to the first feeling of a caffeine rush to the body— intense and highly stimulating. I aim for all of my new friends to experience ume, and whether or not they enjoy it does not matter, it will be an unforgettable event and a great conversation starter. So, next time you go out for sushi, ask if they have umeshiso maki and if yes, order it. You will not regret it!

1 comment:

  1. My son *loves* sour things. I'm going to force this on him...and maybe make him try it 7 times.

    ReplyDelete