Monday, October 17, 2011

Comfort Food

Coming from a household with an eclectic taste for food (pun intended), the average person's "comfort food" is not mine. My brother and dad detest many of my mom and my favorite vegetables (peas, mushrooms, peppers), and my brother all fruits, not including tomatoes-although things like chunky tomato sauce are out of the question. I'm not completely innocent either-being vegetarian, I have my own quirks with food.

So when I think of my favorite home-cooked meals, I don't think of pot-pie, or meat loaf, or a steaming bowl of pasta with thick marinara sauce and freshly grated parmesan. All of these would be great, except that they're not my own.

When I think of home-cooking, I picture walking through the front door of the house to the kitchen, where a big saucepan of jasmine rice sits between 2 trays- one with baked chicken and the other, smaller, with blackened tofu. I think of homemade pancakes or french toast with sides of caramelized pears (my favorite). If it's just my mom and me for dinner, it's almost always sauteed mushrooms and onions; this is often accompanied by a bowl of popcorn and a movie, because if it's just the two of us at home, it's going to be a movie night. If it's a Friday night, it's pizza and a movie with the whole family- no questions asked.

These meals are something I miss the most about home, I'm looking forward to going back soon, especially for the movie nights.

1 comment:

  1. What do you do with a sentence that includes "many of my mom and my favorite vegetables"? It's awkward, right? It's that plural possessive that ruins it. You can say "my mom's and my favorite..." and that's correct--but it's still ridiculously awkward. I'd rephrase the whole sentence: "My brother and dad detest many of the vegetable my mom and I love (peas, mushrooms, peppers)..."

    Regardless, I want to eat at your house all week.

    ReplyDelete