Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Pleasure of a Hot Cookie...


I was in 7th grade when I first discovered “Hot Cookie.” Centered in the heart of San Francisco’s flamboyant Castro district, this bakery is truly one of a kind. When I first stumbled upon this gem, I had a completely skewed interpretation of its tagline.

It was a cold, rainy day in March and all I’d been craving was to treat myself to a glass of milk and a warm, homemade, chocolate-chip cookie. Riding my daily bus route, I suddenly saw a neon, hot red sign etching the phrase “Hot Cookie.” I simply could not ignore the inviting sign and immediately jumped off, knowing that this was the answer to my greatest desire of the week. However, upon entering, I found a different depiction of my ideal “hot cookie.” I should have known that “hot,” especially in the Castro district never refers to temperature… Instead, the featured “hot cookies” were gigantic, phallic decorated delicacies. To balance out the vast array of dark chocolate covered dicks and meaty macaroons, many milk containers resembled the shape of breasts and required you to squeeze them in order to pour yourself a glass.

I distinctly remember the guy behind the counter telling me than “in any other place ordering a penis (or two, or three) would result in an arrest by an undercover cop, but here at Hot Cookie, all that gets you is a chocolate covered baked good.” And heck, it was still as warm and tasty as I’d imagined. Truly, this is a one-time experience and so long as you're comfortable with your sexuality, I highly recommend checking out their goods; for either the aesthetics or the taste, they’re both bound to trigger some sort of satisfaction…

2 comments: