Saturday, November 12, 2011

Eating Fast on Foreign Turf

The German "fast-seafood" chain Nordsee.

Photo Credit: naplesillustrated.com

Few can argue with the idea that travel is food– a substantial part of our "sightseeing" is done in restaurants or kitchens. Whenever I travel, I am fascinated to discover what the locals eat on the go, what their no-frills food is. Fast food restaurants illustrate the wide variety of national tastes and provide an interesting insight into the local culture. This Budget Travel article showcases some of the more popular fast food chains from around the world, from Brazil to Saudi Arabia. Who would have thought that blinis could be fast food? They are in Russia!

From these eight fast food restaurants, I've eaten at only one– Nordsee. I'm not a huge fan, but then again, seafood's not my favorite. Nevertheless, if I ever visit another one of these countries on the list, I'll hunt down the restaurant and give it a try– if only for the culinary perspective onto the local culture! On a slightly different note, a country's street food provides equally delicious insight into the national character– be it roasted chestnuts (maroni) in Vienna or bunny chow in Durban. However you eat it, the local cuisine can teach you a lot more about a region than those ancient ruins or the museum can.

No comments:

Post a Comment