Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hot Pockets!

Today Jen mentioned that her family eats Amy's Kitchen. I was reminded of that exciting day when my parents let me buy one of Amy's Spinach Pizzas in a Pocket, (an organic version of HotPockets). I immediately thought of this comedian, Jim Gaffigan, who has a routine about Hot Pockets and I planned to post a link to it on our blog.

Later, when I went to YouTube to find the video, I was surprised that, when I typed his name into the search box, the first two suggestions to pop-up were routines about food. Jim Gaffigan has routines about escalators, bowling, camping, beds, etc. But the two most popular are about food, specifically HotPockets and Bacon. I then learned that he also has routines about cake, bologna and salad.

This intrigued me, so I began to look for other comedy sketches about food and was overwhelmed by how many there were (see links below).

What does this say about our culture? We eat food, talk about food, think about food, and worry about its nutritional, political and environmental aspects. We are concerned with the quality and sources of our food. Many of our holidays revolve around food, and, apparently, food is comedic material. I think it is safe to say that we are food-obsessed.



1 comment:

  1. OMG. Thank you. I laughed so hard but I was careful to not laugh with food in my mouth. Keep it up. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete