Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Favorite Thanksgiving Dish- Cranberry Sauce

I spent my days with my mom and dad in Sandisfield, Massachusetts where we had a wonderful vacation. For Thanksgiving, my parents and I cooked a chicken, pan fried potatoes, oven baked sweet potatoes, broccoli, stuffing, apple pie, and of course my favorite dish of all- homemade cranberry sauce. I look forward to Thanksgiving every year because this is when my mom makes her first batch of cranberry sauce. This sauce can be sweet or bitter depending on much honey, brown sugar, or maple syrup is added. I like it tangy with just little sweetness. This sauce goes great with anything especially with the Thanksgiving stuffing. Since I love it so much, I made a batch with my mom last night so now I can have a nice snack after dinner. Below is the recipe of my mom's cranberry sauce:



Spiced Apple Cranberry Sauce
12 ounce bag of cranberries
1 diced granny smith apple
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of water
2 to 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 cup of orange juice
2 teaspoon of grated orange rine
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a covered saucepan and cook until cranberries are open. You can tell the cranberries are ready when you hear a popping noise because the cranberries are bursting open. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Transfer to a bowl and let the cranberry sauce cool in the refrigerator or outside.

Photo from: Whelan, Pat. "Cranberry Sauce Recipe." Pat Whelan Butcher. 28 Sept. 2010. Web. 27 Nov. 2011. .


No comments:

Post a Comment