Sunday, November 13, 2011

I love Omelets, I love Wednesdays

Once a plain yellow liquid frying in the circular pan, it has now transformed into a delicious egg pouch of cheese, broccoli, tomatoes, and mushrooms, sitting perfectly on my plate. The omelet is one of my favorite foods to eat, appropriate at any time of day. Filled with protein and other nutrients from foods I can incorporate into the egg, the omelet never fails to satisfy. The omelet bar is a wonderful showcase of a pan on a stove, next to a wide display of various foods to add into the egg, inviting anyone to make their very own dish. It provides an independence to us because we can make different combinations of omelets, all according to our preference. Given the option of omelet bar or an omelet dish at a restaurant, I will jump at the opportunity to choose my own ingredients, soon creating an omelet catered to my exact desires. That's the main reason why I look forward to Wednesday dinners, because that means the omelet bar is open in the Morrow/Wilson dining hall...which ultimately means indulging into a delectable goodness of egg, cheese, broccoli, and whatever other foods I may want to toss into the mix.

When I was in elementary school, my mother would always crack eggs straight into the pan. Avoiding the center yolk, I would carefully nibble around that looming dry, yellow "goo" and eat only the whites of the egg. But when we weren't in a rush, I started helping my mom beat raw eggs in a porcelain bowl with a fork. I discovered that the end result of this would be such a thing called "scrambled eggs." I wondered why she didn't just make eggs this way all the time, because they were so much more enjoyable, the yolk taste completely masked. After I ate these for the first time, I always made my eggs scrambled. They were especially tasty when I added cheese on top of the eggs, and for all of my elementary years, I would have my favorite morning food: scrambled eggs with melted cheese. It was only in fifth grade, that I stumbled upon "the omelet." I was over at a friend's house and she offered to make me such a dish. I had a faint idea that it consisted of scrambled eggs, but when she brought out a bag of mozzarella cheese along with spinach and ham, I was intrigued. I had never experienced this before: actual foods in my eggs. Not just toppings or condiments like cheese and condiments, but real food! My friend beat the eggs in a bowl and poured the yellow liquid onto the pan after spraying it with Pam. Waiting for the egg to solidify, I reflected on all the other times I have carried through with this identical procedure. But shortly after she progressed out of my familiar realm of knowledge and added in on one side of the yellow circle a sprinkle of cheese, a couple pieces of ham, and a little spinach. Then swiftly, she took her wooden spatula and folds the plain yellow side over on top of the other side to produce a sort of sandwich, the food in the middle. And there it was, the omelet.



No comments:

Post a Comment