Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Sauce

Photo Credit: http://sumptuousspoonfuls.wordpress.com/

As I often do nowadays, I was dreaming about one of my favorite quick meals from home: French fries with tzatziki. Tzatziki is a simple Greek sauce or appetizer made of yoghurt and cucumbers– obviously, a cold dish, and completely unfitting to this weather, I know. Nevertheless, this is such a delicious comfort food for me that I can't resist sharing the joy! Although it's a very unorthodox combination to eat it with French fries, the hot crispness of the potato is refreshingly countered by the cool tartness of the tzatziki, making for a delightful meal on a lazy day.

Here's how my sister usually makes our beloved tzatziki (I usually stick to frying the French fries–a.k.a. pressing a button on the deep fryer):

1. Wash and peel one English cucumber, or wash and don't peel several Persian cucumbers.

2. Grate the cucumber and let some of the liquid drain in a colander.

3. Peel and grate some garlic cloves (how much depends on your own preference).

4. Mix the cucumber and garlic with Greek yoghurt, or regular yoghurt that has been drained of some of its liquid.

5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The green bits are from the rind of the Persian cucumber?

    I've been making celeriac french fries lately--celeriac is just coming in at our farm--and I bet they will taste amazing with tzatziki!

    ReplyDelete