Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the... What Is That?

Sardinian Casu Marzu, a cheese with a very particular texture.
Photo Credit: bootsnall.com

What's the most outlandish food you've ever tasted? Reading about strange gastronomical experiences is enticing, especially if that so-called "weird" food is commonplace in another country. This article from BootsnAll, an online travel resource, highlights some of the better-known strange foods out there, like bird's nest soup (made of fowls' saliva) and fried tarantulas. It also showcases some foods that I hadn't heard of, like Balut, a boiled, fertilized egg eaten in the Philippines, and Sardinian Casu Marzu, a maggot-ridden cheese.

Though I haven't tasted any of those delicacies from the article, I'd say I've had my share of strange food. It may not all have been so strange as snake wine or puffin heart, but it's definitely a departure from the everyday meal. One strange food that I remember in particular was horse meat (I know many people cringe when they read that). It was in a tiny restaurant in Portorož, Slovenia, where eating horse meat is much more common than in the States. From what I remember, it was a bit sweet, but had the quality of beef. It was good, but I had to get over the mental obstacle of thinking about what I was eating. In any case, I don't think I would be able to handle eating live octopus or fried grasshoppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment