Sunday, September 25, 2011

Missing Mom's Sunday Dinner



This past month of school has flown by. Between becoming acclimated to the new environment, playing a college sport, making new friends and, of course, trying to keep up with the school-work, I have had very little time to think of what I left behind when I came to Smith.

However, with my brother’s visit this past weekend, I had a chance to stop and think of just what I’ve been missing since leaving home. The first thing that came to mind was that my brother would be returning home tonight to one of my mom’s Sunday dinners. This really hit me hard.

My family is very close but because we have such busy schedules, we make a point to always have dinners on Sundays together before the week picks up in pace. My mom, being the one parent who can cook something besides eggs or pancakes (sorry dad), has taken the job to cook the dinners. They are always different- fondue is always a possibility; sometimes it’s breakfast for dinner (my favorite growing up), other times an exciting salad with beautiful French bread and brie (my current favorite).

Tonight, my family will be having the simplest Noonan classic:

Organic spring mix lettuce with diced local orchard apples, chopped, tamari almonds, cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta and dried cranberries. When I was home the grilled chicken was cut into thick slices but placed on the side if the vegetarian in the house (me). My guess is that it has been tossed into the salad without me there, which is one of the small changes that have occurred since my moving out.

The dressing is homemade, and the only dressing I used up until coming to Smith (I now just use vinegar). It was quite simple: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, pepper, and sometimes some fruit jam (ie: apricot).

So, this is roughly what I will be missing tonight:


I could easily have made this at the salad bar tonight at dinner; this by no means is a difficult dish, nor is it that exciting. But it's not the same knowing that my mom isn't the one preparing it. That, I think, is what I’m really missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment