Friday, September 30, 2011

Karma's Yummylicious Vegan Fare



Gluten-Free Brushcetta with Fresh Tomatoes and Pesto Garnish (you don't have to have Celiac to enjoy this bread!)

Tomato Stack with Cashew "Mozzarella Cheese", Sun-Dried Tomato Viniagrette, and Baby Greens (Don't knock the "cheese" until you try it!)

So if you have not guessed by conversation yet, I work at a "high organic, vegan" restaurant called Karma on Main street. I worked there for most of the summer and now work once a week, and it's hard to pull me away from the place. In fact, I am here now, enjoying a raw cacao brownie with vegan vanilla ice cream. Lunch was an inexpensive dish (just 5 bucks for a meal size) of lime flavored black beans, brown rice, and sautéed African spinach called "mchicha".

A lot of students ask, "Where's Karma?" when I tell them that I work there. If they passed by GoBerry for once and went across the intersection, it is right there! It has the qualities that most yuppie vegan restaurants have: nature-inspired paintings, light green decor, and the catch phrase, "Eat Well, Drink Well, and Be Well." So, people might be put off by it at first, but the vibe is not pretentious or "holier than thou" at all. I know, I'm a bit biased, but the people who work there are really nice people who love sharing this type of food with any and everyone. The restaurant serves lunch, dinner, and a late night menu late in the week. A juice bar features a case full of raw desserts and fresh green juice and smoothie options. Some of the beverage prices are steep, but let me tell you: juices are a bitch to make, and you can develop pretty strong arm muscles making them. Upstairs has more dining space as well as a mini stage for open mics and world music performances. I like to study upstairs when I need some peace and quiet (the Woodstar can be a wee bit too frantic, for instance).

I'm not writing this post to just plug the restaurant, though inevitably that is a part of it, but I honestly love the food here. It's always fresh and I never leave feeling too stuffed or with a food baby. And of course, those are important things to consider when you have to study for an exam for four hours after! Here are some of my favorite dishes that never cease to please me:


Dahl (Looks like baby food, but the pappadam is great for dipping into the lentil mash)

Thai Basil Coconut Curry Rice and Vegetables (I practically drank the sauce on the bottom)

Banana Cream Pie with Chocolate Banana Ice Cream (also called Heaven in my eyes)

Vanilla and Chocolate Banana Ice Cream (It has a cashew base; you would never tell!)

Vegetarians and vegans: you will be at home here. And for the rest of us (including myself here), it is a warm space perfect for a comforting meal and a relaxing place to study. Come by on a Saturday and say hi to me!

All photos are taken by me and my mad skillz.

3 comments:

  1. When I went to Karma I thought the food was really good. I only went to a vegan restaurant once before but I will definitely go back to Karma to say hello(!) and eat the delicious Tomato Stack with Cashew "Mozzarella Cheese", Sun-Dried Tomato Viniagrette, and Baby Greens. That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's really great is how the waitress jumps up and down and squeals with delight when you walk in. Or, maybe that's just for me.

    Karma has the BEST veggie burger ever, anywhere. And I'm a meateater from meateaters who eat meat with meaty hands off of tables made out of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squeals of delight are only reserved for special people ;-)

    ReplyDelete